This palace is in two parts. The main building lying to the west and a spacious pavilion to the east. This pavilion was used for marriages and other purposes when the old palace was burnt and till the completion of sajja in the new palace in the year 1910 A.D. The western, older building is a treasury of pictures and models, illustrating Mysore history and personalities. The ground floor contains number of paintings giving the genealogy of the Mysore Kings and other articles of great interest. An annex to the south has a number of articles which were the personal property of the Maharajas. Dasavataras carved on one rice are displayed in the western hall. The second floor adorns the paintings of great painters from different countries of the world. One of the most attractive paintings is Lady with lamp. In one of the rooms are displayed the dumbbell to and to have been used by the great warrior Kantirava Narasaraja Wodeyar. On the third storey, the Rung Mahal or picture hall has many paintings. One room here contains the pictures of the modern school, Calcutta and some examples of the lovely work of a Mysorean, Mr. K. Venkatappa. One big hall is dedicated to the paintings of Raja Ravi Varma.
Timings :
8.30 am to 5.30 pm
Fees :
Adults : Rs.20
Children(5-10 yrs.) : Rs. 10
Best Time To Visit : During DASARA
How To Reach : By Bus