Kukkarahalli Lake also called Kukkarhalli Kere (Lake is ''kere'' in local Kannada language), located in the heart of the Mysore city, adjoins the Manasgangotri (University of Mysore), the Kalamandir (Rangyana) and the Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI) campus (separated by the Hunsur Road). It provides lung-space to the city. Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar, (1794 - 1868) of the Mysore Dynasty (Kingdom of Mysore) was responsible for getting the lake created, in the year 1864, to provide water for irrigation to about 4000 ha (10,000 acres) of land outside the city. The Lake also used to be a source of water supply to the city of Mysore but over the years, sewage and excessive land encroachments (mostly illegal) and blockage of water flow sources almost led to the eutropohication of the lake. The University of Mysore and the citizen forums of Mysore continue to make efforts to preserve the lake by implementing several remedial measures.
The Lake drains a catchment area of more than 414 square kilometres (160 sq mi) and the water body spreads over 62 hectares (150 acres).
Timings :
06.00 am to 06.00 pm
Fees :
Free Entry
Best Time To Visit : Any Time
How To Reach : By Bus