The city has number of temples, the earliest of which probably dates from 15th century A.D.
Gayatri Temple
Jayachamaraja Wodeyar, the last Maharaja of Mysore, built the Gayathri temple in 1953. The King was great devotee of the Goddess Devi including Gayathri. Inside the enclosure of the temple there are three shrines dedicated to Savitri, Gayathri and Lakshmi. The Navaranga has statues of Ganesha, Shiva and Maha Vishnu. The famous sculptor of Mysore, Shilpi Siddalingaswamy, carved these sculptures.
Varahaswamy Temple
This is a large, one of the Hoysala type of architecture near the south gate way of the temple, the boar, bears an inscription to the effect that it was the gift of Chikkadevaraja Wodeyar, who brought it from Srimunshana and set it up in a temple at Srirangapatna which was destroyed lated by Tipu Sultan. In 1809 the god was removed to Mysore & set up here by Krishnaraja Wodeyar III.
Someshwara Temple
This temple is in the northeast side of the fort. It has three cells next to each other. The middle cell has a Linga, the right cell Goddess Somasundari and the left cell Narayana. In front of the Narayana shrine are the statues of the nine planets the 'Navagrahas' on a raised platform. Maharani Vanivilasa Sannidhana had all these statues installed except for the Linga, more than a century ago. It is claimed that the Linga is much older. The outer wall on the southern side has a niche that has a statue of Dakshinamurthy. The temple played an important role in the Dasara festivities during the reign of Jayachamaraja Wodeyar.
Kodi Bhairava Temple
To the southeast of Someswara Temple is the Kodi Bhairava temple. The temple is so called because it is located on the 'Kodi' or weir of Devaraya Sagara, now a dried up tank popularly known as Doddakere. This Shiva temple is associated with the founders of the Mysore Royal family or the Yadu dynasty. Legend has it that it is in this temple that the two young prices from Gujarat (Dwaraka), Yaduraya and Krishnaraya, took shelter, before fighting the Karugahalli chief and restoring the kingdom to the then Royal family. Yaudraya married the local princess and became progenitor of the Yadu dynasty. The temple has a statue of Bhairava that is about a meter high. In His four hands the Lord Shiva has a trident, a drum, a skull and a sword. The statue is flanked on the left by the statue of Bhadrakali, holding a sickle in her uplifted right hand and on the right a female Chauri-bearer.
Bhuvaneswari Temple
This temple is situated in the northern side of the Palace Fort. Jayachamaraja Wodeyar built the Bhuvaneswari in 1951. The temple architecture is in the Dravidian style. The famous sculptor of Mysore Shilpi Siddalingaswamy carved the main idol of Bhuvaneswari. The temple also has the statues of Surya, Maha Vishnu, Maheswara, Rajarajeswari, Ganapathi and Chamundeswari. The temple has a large 'Surya Mandala in its possession. This copper plate was earlier with the Royal family and was handed to the temple by Jayacjamaraja Wodeyar. On the auspicious day of "Rath Sapthami" in the month of January-February, special prayers are offered to the Surya Mandala.
Prasanna Krishnaswamy Temple
Krishnaraja Wodeyar III built the Prasanna Krishnaswamy temple. This temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna the founder of the Yadu dynasty. Construction of temple began 1825 and was completed in 1829. He presented the temple with about 40 bronze statues of Gods, Goddesses and saints. His name was inscribed next to the name of the statue. There is a statue of Krishnaraja Wodeyar III along with his wives with labels on their pedestals. The statue of the Maharaja is also worshipped.
Trineswara Temple
Trinesvaraswamy Temple is dedicated to the three-eyed Lord Shiva and is located in the northeast corner of the fort, facing the Palace. This enormous temple has been built in the Dravidian style. This old temple existed even before the reign of Raja Wodeyar (1578-1617). Originally the temple was located on the bank of the Devaraya Sagar or Doddakere. The fort was enlarged during the reign of Kanthirava Narasaraja Wodeyar (1638-1659) and his successor Dodda Devaraja Wodeyar (1659-1672) and as a result the temple came within the fort enclosure.
MahaBaleshwara Temple
The Mahabaleshwara temple on top of the Chamundi hills is the oldest temple on top of the hill. The Mahabaleshwara temple was a very important before the Chamundeshwari temple gained prominence. The Mahabaleshwara temple lost its importance after the Mysore Kings started patronizing the Chamundi temple. In the earlier days the hill was called Mahabaladri or Mahabala Thirtha after the Lord of the temple. The name Chamundi Hills is of recent origin. This temple is situated to the south of the Chamundeswari Temple and attracts a small number of devotees. Records of the Ganga period show that the temple existed during their reign as well.
Laxminarayanaswamy Temple
The Lakshmiramana Swamy temple in Mysore is one of the oldest temples in the city. In an inscription found at the Banni Mantapa in Mysore there is a mention of a grant for God Lakshminarayana in 1499 by the Vijayanagara King Narasa Nayaka, the father of the famous Vijayanagar emperor Krishnadevaraya. There is an inscription in the temple dated November 30, 1851, recording that Krishnaraja Wodeyar III renovated the tower built over the Mahaswara (the main entrance) Raja Wodeyar built the original tower.
There is a statue of Raja Wodeyar to the right side in the Prakara that is about 2 feet in height. The main deity of the temple is Nambinarayana, a form of Vishnu, the sanctum sanctorum has a statue of Him holding the discus and the conch. There is a cell to the right that has a statue of his consort, the Goddess Lakshmi. There is a beautiful statue of Lord Venugopala that is about 4 feet. Kantirava Narasaraja Wodeyar (1638-1659) built the magnificent mantapa in the rear of the temple
Best Time To Visit : Any Time
How To Reach : By Bus